How To Guide
Requesting Email Marketing
Advancement Toolkit Email Marketing Requesting Email Marketing
You can submit projects in advance – the system will give you deadlines for submitting copy and artwork that are closer to your intended send date.
Please allow for a minimum of a five full business day turnaround.
- Access the project proposal form – www.uff.ufl.edu/commproject
- Complete the project proposal
- Add one or more email marketing requests
- Complete the request details
- Your request will be reviewed
- If approved and assigned, you will be able to track the status of your request
Be sure to request your data (allowing 3 weeks for data will help ensure timely delivery)
Please include your email request ID on your data request (you will receive this in your confirmation email)
Place the request ID below the line for “Log Number” at the bottom of your data request form.
If you have already submitted your data request, please attach your data request to your email request as a “Data”.
Access the project proposal form – www.uff.ufl.edu/commproject
Select your project type
Select your department
Select your name
Enter your project name and proposed start date
- Project Name
- Please provide a succinct project name that differentiates your project. (example: DCP Spring 2022 Newsletters)
- Project Proposed Start Date
- This will default to the earliest available start date. If you are planning out in advance, please set this to the date when you plan to start focusing on the project.
Click the “Add Email Marketing Request” button
You will be taken to the Add Email Marketing Request screen.
The project information and your information will be pre-populated:
Enter the basics of your individual email
- Email Title
- Similar to the project name, please provide a succinct email title that differentiates your request. (example: Digital Team Project Management Email 1)
- Please provide the reason(s) for sending this particular email. (example: Informing communicators of new process for requesting email marketing)
- Measured Goal
- Enter what you are expecting to achieve with this email. Please be specific. You could expect a certain open rate (45% open rate), a minimum amount of money raised or a certain percentage increase in memberships or RSVPs (30 people attending the event), as examples. Someone from the Advancement Digital Communications team may follow-up with you for data on whether you met your goal.
- Communication Category
- Please select a category that most closely aligns with the type of email you are sending. The data for your email will be loaded into the public list matching your category.
Enter your requested send date
- Requested Send Date
- This is the date you would like your final approved email to send.
- Part of Another Communication Project
- Select this if this email is part of a broader set of communications projects. (example: You are sending a report being designed by Creative Services by mail and then following up with this email.)
If you select this, you will be asked to detail how it fits in with the other project(s).
- Acceptable Alternative Dates
- While the Advancement Digital Communications team makes every effort to schedule your email for the date you have requested, it may be necessary to schedule it for an alternative date. You can prevent project delays by providing two or three alternative send dates.
- Important Notes About Timelines
The project management system will create a timeline for you based on your requested send date (this will also be included in your confirmation email). These are the deadlines and dates required to meet your send date. You may submit materials and approvals earlier than the prescribed deadlines.
If you enter a requested send date that pushes the timeline back before the current date, you will receive the error on the right. You may still submit your request. It is recommended that you email the director of digital communications, Monica Vosilla (firstname.lastname@example.org) after submitting your request to work out details.
Standard Email Timeline & Deadlines Submitted to project management portal 7 business days before send date All final materials submitted 5 business days before send date Draft produced 3 business days before send date Data receipt & final approval deadline 1 business day before send date Send date Send date
Enter your recipient and data information
- Audience Categories
- Select the audiences that you included in your data request.
- Audience Specifics
- A few words to describe your total audience to help us understand scope and size.
- Seed Addresses
- Seed addresses are a set of email addresses (normally internal) that are included in the send as an FYI but are not part of your target audience (your dean, your communications director, you, etc.). Each college/unit will have its standard set of seed addresses that are included in all sends. Check the “Alternate Seed Address File Submitted” button if you are including a separate data file of seed addresses.
- A/B Testing
- Check this box if you would like to utilize A/B testing for this email. If you select this option, you must detail your plan for A/B testing. Note that this will also change your draft approval and data receipt deadline (the system will automatically make the change).
Enter your email header information
- Sender display name
- This is the name you would like to have shown as the sender in your recipients’ email inbox.
- Sender Email
- This is the “From” address for your email. Note that all replies to your email will also go to this address. In compliance with anti-spam laws and regulations, the Advancement Digital Communications team is unable to set a different “reply to” email address.
- Subject Line
- This is the subject line your recipients will see in their inboxes. Be sure to use descriptive, but concise language that will entice your target audience to open the email.
- Preview Text
- Enter the text that you would like your recipients to see as the one-to-four line message preview in selected email clients. (You can read more about the pre-header here: https://help.marketingcloud.com/en-US/documentation/distributed_sending/email/preheader/)
- Personalization Tags
- Check this box if you will require the use of personalization data tags in your email (subject line and/or body) such as “First Name.” Important note: If you are using personalization in your email, please be sure you included those fields/columns in your data request.
Enter your email footer information
By default, each college/unit has its own, predefined footer that is universal across all sends. If your send requires a different footer, uncheck the “Use Standard Footer” box and fill in the details. Requesting an alternate footer will add two business days to your request.
- Display Sponsors
- Check this to have your sponsors displayed in the email footer.
- Social Icons
- Check any social icons you wish to have appear in your footer. If you have not requested social icons before, please include the links to each in the “Additional Footer Information” field.
- Additional Logo
- Check this if your email is promoting something that has an additional sponsor. Be sure to provide the artwork file for the additional logo you require.
- Detail footer changes
- Please enter any additional information that the Advancement Digital Team should know about the footer. If you requested social icons and have never used social icons before, please include the links to your requested social channels here.
Attach your files
- Important note
- If you are planning ahead and entering your project and accompanying email requests well in advance, you may not have some or any of your materials at this point. That is 100% fine. The system will allow you to add files to your request until the project enters the scheduled status. You can add files to your request using the dashboard URL from your confirmation email.
If you already have some or all of the materials, you can submit them at this time.
- Add Files
- Click on the appropriate button to add that type of file to your email marketing request.
Certify your submission
All art and copy should be fully completed and approved before submitting as part of an email marketing request. Due to our tight timeline, editorial changes and/or art changes will result in your email needing to be rescheduled.
Check the “I certify that all the materials I am submitting or will submit for this request are the proofed final versions.” to confirm that you acknowledge that all materials you are submitting are pre-approved.
Click the green Save & Close button
This button will be available in a fixed location in the upper-right corner of your screen and at the bottom of the form.
After the system saves your request, you will see the Project Status & Update Form.
Add any additional email marketing requests for your project
You will see a section detailing the existing email marketing requests for your projects.
You can click the “Add Email Marketing Request” button to add additional email marketing requests to your project.
Note: You may only add new email marketing requests to your project while it is in the proposed stage. Once your project is assigned, you will be unable to add additional requests.
What happens next?
Your project will be reviewed by Strategic Communications, Marketing and Engagement leadership during its weekly meeting. From there, your project will either be assigned to a project leader or flagged for follow-up.
If your project is assigned, you will receive a confirmation that your project has been assigned, including the members of the project team.
All project management notifications come from email@example.com – please be sure to add this address to your contacts.
You will receive a confirmation email with a link to your request’s dashboard. Please save this email. You can use the link provided in your confirmation email to view the project status at any time and provide any comments or notes to the project leader and project team.
Synopsis of Email Marketing Request Statuses
- Proposed – Your request is pending and has not been reviewed by Strategic Communications and Marketing leadership.
- In Queue – Your project is assigned and is in the work queue.
- Collaborator Action Required – We need something from you in order to move the project forward. No work is done during this status.
- AVP Approval – The request is in our internal approval queue.
- With Sponsor – The project team has submitted proofs to you for review and is waiting on your response.
- Sponsor Action Required – The project team needs additional information from the sponsor, most likely the data file.
- Ready to Schedule – You have approved your proof(s), we have your data, and the email is ready for scheduling.
- Delivery – Your email is scheduled or has been delivered.
- Complete – All emails have been sent and any post-project review is complete.
- Canceled by Collaboartor – You requested the cancellation of your project and/or email marketing request.
- Not Assigned – The leadership team has not accepted your project proposal. Someone from Strategic Communications and Marketing will contact you with additional information.
If you have any questions, contact Jason Phenicie (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Monica Vosilla (email@example.com)