Dr. James H. Schaub Student Professional Development Fund
This fund was established in 2008 by the estate of James H. Schaub to support civil and coastal engineering students attending annual meetings, with one student attending the American Society of Civil Engineers meeting and one attending the American Public Works Association meeting.
James “Jim” Hamilton Schaub is a former University of Florida faculty member who retired as a Distinguished Service Professor. Following service in the Army during World War II and Korea, he received a bachelor’s in 1948 from Virginia Polytechnic Institute and was a member of Tau Beta Phi, Chi Epsilon and Phi Kappa Phi. James completed his education in civil engineering at Harvard and Purdue. He served on the UF Classics advisory council in 1994.
In 1960, Schaub was named professor and chairman of the Department of Civil Engineering at West Virginia University, where he later became associate dean of engineering.
Schaub served as president of the West Virginia Section and the Gainesville Branch of the American Society of Civil Engineers. In 2006, he was inducted into the WVU Academy of Civil Engineering. He was honored by ASCE with the first W.H. Wisely Award and was named Engineer of the Year by the Florida Section. Schaub was also a member and a national director of the American Public Works Association and is an honorary member of the West Virginia Academy of Civil Engineers.
Schaub graduated from Capital Page School in Washington, D.C., where he was a page in the U.S. House of Representatives.
His interests consisted of music, gold, purebred dogs and reading. James was married to Malinda of Radford, VA, who was active in many aspects of church, community and university life until her death in 2005.
James passed away on February 11, 2008 at his North Florida Retirement Village home in Gainesville, FL.
Other Herbert Wertheim College of Engineering Giving Opportunities
MEMS Micro Mirror Technology and Applications
Integrated Magnetics Development
UF Engineering Innovators Program/UF Innovation Station Sarasota County