Nathan P. Bryan Hall

Honoree


Nathan P. Bryan

Narrative as displayed in the commemorative plaque outside Bryan Hall:

Nathan Philemon Bryan was born in Ft. Mason, Florida, in 1872. In 1893 he earned a bachelor’s degree from Emory College, followed in 1895 by a law degree from Washington and Lee University. That year he opened a law practice in Jacksonville, Florida. The Bryan family was active in civic and political affairs and close to Florida Governor Napoleon Bonaparte Broward. In 1905, Governor Broward appointed Nathan Bryan to the newly created Board of Control, overseeing Florida’s institutions of higher learning. The board unanimously elected Bryan as its first chair. During his four years in that post, he presses successfully for the establishment of a law school at the University of Florida. From 1911 until 1917, Bryan served as U.S. senator from Florida. In 1920, he became a judge on the U.S. Circuit Court, which position he held until his death in Jacksonville, in 1935.

The Law College at the University of Florida first met in 1909, in Thomas Hall. Thirty-one students made up the initial class, meeting there or later in Language (now Anderson) Hall until 1914, when Bryan Hall was completed. Built by contractor J.L. Crouse of Madison, Florida, at a cost of $24,000, Bryan Hall was designed by architect William A. Edwards, who was also responsible for the University’s comprehensive plan. This structure follows Edwards’ established Collegiate Gothic style, with brick exterior fabric and terra cotta adornments, but without parapets or a cornice. Instead, overhanging eaves, similar to those found on contemporary Florida bungalows, distinguished the building. In 1948, extensive renovations were made to accommodate an addition, completed in 1950, which resulted in the wing joining the north end of the original structure. Bryan Hall was dedicated on November 20, 1914, in honor of Nathan P. Bryan, and housed the College of Law until 1969. It is now part of the Warrington College of Business.

Facility History

Located at the corner of University Avenue and 13th Street, Bryan Hall is home of the MBA Programs Office, the Dean’s Office, the Marketing Department, Technology Assistance Center, the MBA Team Study Room and numerous faculty offices. Representations of the scales of justice remain on the building as a reminder of its original purpose.

Commemorative Plaque


Narrative as displayed on the commemorative plaque:

Nathan Philemon Bryan was born in Ft. Mason, Florida, in 1872. In 1893 he earned a bachelor degree from Emory College, followed in 1895 by a law degree from Washington and Lee University. That year he opened a law practice in Jacksonville, Florida.1 The Bryan family was active in civic and political affairs, and close to Florida Governor Napoleon Bonaparte Broward.2 In 1905, Governor Broward appointed Nathan Bryan to the newly-created Board of Control, overseeing Florida’s institutions of higher learning. The board unanimously elected Bryan as its first chair.3 During his four years in that post, he pressed successfully for the establishment of a law school at the University of Florida. From 1911 until 1917, Bryan served as U.S. Senator from Florida. In 1920, he became a judge on the U.S. Circuit Court, which position he held until his death in Jacksonville, in 1935.4

The Law College at the University of Florida first met in 1909, in Thomas Hall. Thirty one students made up the initial class, meeting there or later in Language (now Anderson) Hall until 1914, when Bryan Hall was completed. Built by contractor J.L. Crouse, of Madison, Florida, at a cost of $24,000, Bryan Hall was designed by architect William A. Edwards, who was also responsible for the University’s comprehensive plan. This structure follows Edwards’ established Collegiate Gothic style, with brick exterior fabric and terra cotta adornments, but without parapets or a cornice. Instead, overhanging eaves, similar to those found on contemporary Florida bungalows, distinguished the building. In 1948, extensive renovations were made to accommodate an addition, completed in 1950, which resulted in the wing joining the north end of the original structure.5 Bryan Hall was dedicated on November 20, 1914, in honor of Nathan P. Bryan, and housed the College of Law until 1969. It is now part of the College of Business Administration.

Nathan P. Bryan Hall is on the National Register of Historic Places. Click here to read more.