Online Giving for the Florida Museum of Natural History
The Florida Legislature established the Florida Museum of Natural History as the state’s official natural history museum in 1917. With more than 25 million specimens and artifacts, it is the largest collections-based natural history museum in the southeast, and nationally ranks as one of the top five university-based natural history museums. More than 200,000 visitors enjoy the exhibits annually.
Powell Hall, the new 55,000-square-foot education and exhibition center located in the Cultural Plaza on campus, opened to the public in 1998. The McGuire Center for Lepidoptera and Biodiversity opened in 2004. It houses the world’s second largest collection of butterflies and moths and includes the specimens transferred from the Allyn Museum of Entomology in Sarasota. The McGuire Center also features a Butterfly Rainforest exhibit with live butterflies. Hours are Monday through Saturday, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Sunday and holidays from 1 to 5 p.m., and closed on Thanksgiving and Christmas Day. Admission is free, but contributions are always appreciated. There is a charge to visit the Butterfly Rainforest.
The museum also manages the Ordway Preserve and Swisher Memorial Sanctuary in Putnam county, a 9,500-acre outdoor ecological preserve and research and teaching area; an archaeological field school in historic St. Augustine, and the Randell Research Center, a 56-acre internationally significant archaeological site near Fort Myers.
For more information about the Florida Museum of Natural History, call (352) 846-2000, or visit the museum's web site, www.flmnh.ufl.edu.
- FMNH Educational Programs Fund (004717)
- FMNH Exhibits and Public Programs (005265)
- Ben B. Coffey, Jr. Endowment (005394)
- Friends of the Randell Research Center (007073)
- Environmental Archaeology Endowment (011203)
- Island Archaeology Endowment (011312)
- FLMNH Monarch Society (011569)
- Discovery Room Renovation (017665)
- J.D. and Nancy Turner Riodinidae Fund (019205)
- Museum Unrestricted Fund (004401)