Online Giving for the M.E. Rinker, Sr. School of Construction Management

The M. E. Rinker, Sr. School of Building Construction was started in 1935 as a degree program in architecture. A rapid growth of enrollment took place after the Second World War and by 1957 the number of building construction students and faculty was large enough to justify departmental status. In 1976, the Department formally achieved School status within the College of Architecture, now the College of Design, Construction and Planning. Coincidentally, 1976 was also the year that the Building Construction Program was accredited by the American Council for Construction Education. In 1977, with over 1,800 alumni, the School was recognized by the Associated General Contractors of America as "outstanding". In 1988 the doctoral program was started. In 1989 the School was renamed the M. E. Rinker, Sr. School of Building Construction in recognition of "Doc" Rinker's generosity to the School.

The curriculum has evolved from a variation of architecture to a full-fledged academic discipline with a strong emphasis on construction management. The three major segments of the curriculum - science, techniques and management - are designed to be highly coordinated and relevant to real world construction business.

Since 1988, five research centers have been established in the School: Shimberg Center for Affordable Housing, Center for Fire Testing and Research, Center for Construction and Environment, Center for Construction Safety and Loss Control, and the Center for Innovative Technologies.