UF Named Facilities
Kathryn Chicone Ustler Hall
Kathryn Chicone Ustler is a 1961 UF liberal arts graduate with a major in sociology. Kay grew up in Orlando where she attended Edgewater High School. Before transferring to UF as a sophomore, she attended Stephens College in Columbia, MO. At UF, she joined Delta Gamma sorority and has been a major contributor for chapter house renovations and endows an annual scholarship. Her gift is not the first Chicone family donation to UF. Kay's father, Jerry J. Chicone, Sr., was one of the 30 organizers of the Gator Boosters program in the 1950's and the North Endzone Gator Booster offices are named after him. Her brother, Jerry Chicone, Jr., graduated in 1956 and is a loyal supporter of Gator athletics as well as past president of Gator Boosters.
Craig Ustler, Kay's son, lives and works in downtown Orlando. He graduated from UF earning a bachelor's degree in economics in 1991 and a master's in real estate and urban analysis in 1995.
Completed in 1919 and originally named the University Gymnasium, the building was designed by architect William A. Edwards in the Tudor Gothic style. It was the first UF structure intended for campus-wide use and from the 1920's through the 1940's, the multi-purpose facility was used as a basketball arena, assembly hall, chapel, dance hall, movie theater and lecture hall. In 1948, when UF went co-ed, it became known as the Women's Gym. In 1979, when the Women's Athletic Department moved into the Florida Gymnasium, it was slated for demolition. Fortunately, it was granted protection under the National Register of Historic Places in 1988.
In 2000, Kathryn Chicone Ustler funded the restoration and renovation of the building into a 14,700 square foot, three-level academic structure to house classrooms, meeting space and faculty and administrative offices for the Women's Studies program, which took occupancy in 2006. It is the first academic building at UF named solely after a woman.