UF Named Facilities
Alfred A. McKethan Stadium at Perry Field
Alfred A. McKethan received his bachelor's of science in business administration in 1931. His business interests were very diverse, ranging from banking to citrus growing to transportation. McKethan served as President and CEO of the SunBank and Trust Company from 1942 to 1994. During his tenure at SunBank he became the youngest president (at age 38) of the Florida Bankers Association. Along with his brother, McKethan founded the Brooksville Rock Company, which later became known as the Florida Mining and Materials Corporation. He was an active citrus grower, serving as director of the Florida Citrus Exchange for 15 years. Transportation in the state of Florida also benefited from McKethan's involvement, as he was instrumental in the construction of the Sunshine Skyway as well as the initial planning of the Florida Turnpike.
McKethan was a dedicated supporter of the university. He was honored as the university's first Eminent Scholar in 1981, donated $600,000 to the College of Business and was a member of the President's Council. He was a Distinguished Director of Gator Boosters and was an avid supporter of the baseball team, attending as many games as possible each season. He was responsible for the initial construction of the baseball stadium in 1988 as well as its subsequent refurbishment. He also oversaw the construction of a state-of-the-art press box in 1996.
McKethan passed away in 2002 at the age of 93. The Gator baseball team honored his memory by wearing black A.A.M. patches on their hats that season.
McKethan Stadium underwent a $350,000 development project in 1996 which produced a new main entrance and created a plaza and courtyard atmosphere for fans surrounding the main grandstand. Construction over the previous summer added 1,000 seats to the main grandstand to replace seating lost through prior construction and press box expansion. The press box was rebuilt during the fall of 1996 with the aid of an additional gift of $300,000 from McKethan. The playing field, one of the best in the SEC, underwent an upgrade during the summer of 1997, as the field was leveled and new grass was planted. The most recent addition has increased the capacity to 5,000 fans with seats added along the left field line and beyond the left field fence.